one blank canvas
one black and white photo copied on a laser printer using the cheapest paper possible
one bottle of gel medium from a craft store
one paint brush (size medium)
one squirt bottle of water
How it's done:
1) Paint a coat of the gel medium onto the canvas (lay it on kind of thick)
2) Take the black and white photocopied picture and place it ink-side down onto the canvas, on top of the gel medium. (picture will come out mirror reversed so if there are words then make sure you print reverse)
3) Lightly press the paper down onto the canvas.
4) Set aside and let dry overnight.
(Next day) Using the squirt water bottle, spray a mist over the canvas and lightly rub the paper in a circular motion. The paper will begin to come off in small wet balls (it gets messy). Take your time and don't press too hard. Apply more water as needed. The idea is to lightly rub the paper off, leaving the ink imprinted photo image on the canvas. Sometimes a little of the picture may rub off, just move away from the weakened spot and move onto another area. The imperfection looks natural so it's okay to have a few areas like that.
6) Once paper is rubbed off, mist canvas again and paint a thin coat of gel medium for a sealant. It will look milky at first but will dry clear.
7) Rip out book pages and place along edge of canvas and then top it off with some gel medium for a final sealant. I used a proof copy of my book, Angel in a Fur Coat.
I gave a short presentation of Angel in a Fur Coat and Li Li the True Story of a Goober to the 3rd grade at Christ Church Academy.
A book signing followed afterward with special guest, Donna Deegan, She is the former News Anchor of Florida's First Coast News and founder of The Donna Foundation. which provides the necessary
funds to care for local women living with breast cancer. She is also the author of two books: The Good Fight and Through Rose Colored Glasses.
The school had a very cool painting created by a visiting artist and signed by Tim Tebow.
It's that time again! Time to get all your little monsters blessed. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday October 5th at St. Philip Neri Ecumenical Church. There will be a pet fair followed by a blessing of the animals at noon. I'll be there signing my books, Angel in a Fur Coat, Legend of the Pink Toe and Li Li The True Story of a Goober, along with my dogs to be blessd.
I will be at The Florida Heritage Book Festival signing books with the publisher of one of my picture books. The festival begins Thrusday 26th with Thursday and Friday being ticketed events and ending with Saturday being free to all. Check out the website below for the schedule. It's usually a nice time.